Hamptons weekend #14 August 20-22, 1999
Feedback/changes/complaints to garystrauss at freeshell dot org
Highlights, observances and more
- Full story (warning: long!)
- This was the big weekend for the exclusive Jill Sobule show at the house.
- It hasn't rained ALL summer and the weather chose this weekend of all weekends
to end the Long Island drought.
- The weekend started out Friday night with only Kenny, Lori and Gary
- Calls start coming in Saturday with people cancelling out because of the
- Jill arrives at 2pm.
- Total people at the house, including Jill and her friend Mary Kaye: 5.
- Gary plays tennis and basketball with Jill and Mary Kaye (hey another person
with Mary in their first name!)
- Mary Kaye acts like Mark McGwire on the tennis court, launching balls over the
fence toward the airport.
- Finally, a few people start showing up after I drop Jill off at the Inn on Main.
- Melissa says, "Hey, that's our house. Come with us."
- Paranoid Gary fears the show will be a disaster if not enough people show up,
making Jill fell Jill-ted.
- People I forgot I invited show up (Thank God for this!)
- We finally get up to about 30 people.
- Jill decides to play unplugged sitting in the living room with people gathered
around on the couch and chairs.
- The show goes off way better than I thought.
- Jill makes fun of Mike Voelker for making noises by the grill preparing his food.
- Everyone loved the show, with people really getting into it, especially Kenny,
Melissa and Kevin.
- The music affected Jaana so much she has to leave the room in tears.
- Jill and Mary Kaye raid the fridge after the show looking for food,
only finding a vegetarians nightmare, finally settling on pieces of bread before
I drive them back to the Inn so they can get real food.
- After the show we go to Jack's private beach party at the Quogue Surf Club.
- Upon finding no one I know in the 10 people who are in the only Surf Club I know, I decide we
must be in the wrong place. I get my moeny back and head out.
- I call the place and ask directions. The girl on the phone doesn't know how to
get there, but gets someone who does.
- I arrive at the outdoor party and turn it from a dull party of people sitting
around doing nothing to a big dance-fest (not un-completely drunk induced).
- The only people at the party dancing are our house and our guests!
- Kenny is dangerous. Jaana may be even more dangerous.
- We head out after the alcohol runs dry and go to Casey's Cheese Factory.
- Gary and Lori go back to the house.
- People come back in waves up until 5am.
- Jill and Mary Kaye re-arrive Sunday for more tennis and basketball.
- Kevin finally witnesses Gary's mobility on the court, something he only heard
about in legends.
- Gary drives Jill and Mary Kaye to the Jitney.
- Sorry, Mr. stalker, Matt G wasn't here this weekend.
- Sorry Kevin, the first picture of you that made it this summer has you lost in
the crowd of people.
- Pardon spelling typos. No time to check. People will yell if I don't have this
page up by Monday morning.
- The weekend ends Sunday evening with only Kenny, Lori and Gary.